For our wonderful international guests.
Here we have information on what is possible to do on your trip to Iceland and suggestions for places to stay.
We will also be updating the site periodically, with details of some pre-wedding and post-wedding events we are organizing and suggesting.
A good website for starters is: http://inspired.visiticeland.com/academy/
If you need a guidebook, try the Bradt Iceland guide offers decent depth, even if it is a couple of years old:
For places to stay, a few things to remember:
- Hotels tend to be very expensive ($200-300 in Reykjavik for mid-range properties)
- More reasonable options include:
- Guesthouses – comfortable accommodation, generally shared bathrooms
- AirBnB – rooms and apartments, often available for around $100 per night
- Hostels – generally of a much higher standard than elsewhere, often with reasonably priced private rooms
- www.heyiceland.is (if you want to take some days out of the Reykjavik area.)
- This place is in a wonderful fjord near to Reykjavik. Simple and amazing http://bjarteyjarsandur.is/
- Some people in our network have also offered to rent out their apartments. Please let us know if that is something you would like to look into.
It is possible to drive from half an hour and up to 4 hours out of Reykjavik and see amazing things.
In some countries the wedding party lasts for days but normally in Iceland only for a day. Therefore, as we are the multicultural family, we want to offer an extra treat for our foreign guests, and for those Icelanders that are eager to spend more time together 🙂
We are planning a trip for our guests on the 22. of July. It is a Saturday after the wedding and departure is from Reykjavik at 17.30 or 18.00 and we will be back around midnight. Have in mind that the nights in Iceland are endless and it is still bright at midnight. So no need to spend too much time on sleeping while you are there 🙂
We will be going on a secret trip with jeeps into the unknown with very experienced guides. This is a trip that takes us to places where normal cars can´t reach. The price and detailed description will be provided as soon as possible if you want to register. We need to register before 1st of June of this trip. A great opportunity that is specially made for this group.
We will be going on a Jeep trip to the amazing Highlands of Iceland on the Saturday the 22.of July from 17.30 to midnight. We have currently spaces for 24 people, locals and friends from afar. If more people want to join us, we will make more spaces. Price 115 euros per person with snacks and drinks included. This is an exclusive trip, specially made for this group, our beautiful friends and family. Please let Helga Stina know if you would like to register for the trip. It’s a once in a lifetime experience with amazing, experienced monster jeep guides and we are getting a big discount. This is the company www.boreal.is
The venue – Elliðarárdalur
The venue we are using is in a wooded area of the city of Reykjavik, about a 10 minute taxi ride or drive from the center of Reykjavik. There is no public transport to this place.
If you are interested in renting a car let us know and Helga Stina recommends a car rental agengy called www.holdur.is, which is affiliated with Europcar – We have used them earlier and they are reliable.
Cafés – Restaurants – activities
Here we will post our favorite activities, restaurants, cafés, bars and ice cream shops before July.
Gifts…if you are wondering
As we are thrilled to receive you at our wedding in Iceland this summer we think that your attendance in itself is a gift to us that we will cherish forever.
If you insist on giving us a present we would like to inspire you with some options.
PLEASE NOTE: Iceland´s airlines love to receive excess baggage fees. But we would like to avoid carrying heavy gifts back go Holland.
- You can share your talents at the wedding: singing, playing on glasses, finger painting, initiating circus acts or performing poetry or rap songs in your choice of language.
- You can contribute to one of our designated charities
The Hunger Project
The Hunger Project is a global, non-profit, strategic organization committed to the sustainable end of world hunger. Our vision is a world where every woman, man and child leads a healthy, fulfilling life of self-reliance and dignity.
The Gava Project – Focusing on children
or you can contact them directly on the site for more information on how to contribute.
Doctors without borders
- You can contribute to our honeymoon fund for a dream trip in the near future.
As you know, we love to travel and have been on some kind of a honeymoon since we met. But we have a dream to travel somewhere exotic in the near future, somewhere with better weather than Iceland and Holland, or fewer Republicans than Arizona.
Africa, Asia or South America. We would love to gather money for that dream if you are interested in supporting our future adventures.
- We’d like a nice piece of art that the Gallery can ship to us.
This is a gallery in Reykjavik that have beautiful art pieces from Icelandic artists:
If you have any questions or suggestions, please send them to our special wedding email: email@example.com.
Hugs from Holland,
Helga Stina and Mike (and Gabriel too)